Friday, August 23, 2013

Ouija Boards, Zozo, and an Interview With a Demon -Sitting Now



Originally published August 23, 2013 via sittingnow.co.uk

I grew up in the throes of the Satanic Panic of the 80s with a baptist preacher for a father, meaning no He-Man, no Dungeons & Dragons, and definitely no Ouija boards.  To be honest, the only real loss I felt was over the He-Man and D&D ban.  In my mind, Ouija was always aligned with seances, superstition, and big-haired mediums from Long Island.

But then I found some hoaxy YouTube videos and internet yarns describing a demon named Zozo that haunted unwary Ouija dabblers, negatively influencing their lives and even possessing them.

I’ve never been able to make myself believe in ghosts.  The idea of dead spinsters sticking around their old houses with unfinished business just seems boring to me.  Demon possession, on the other hand, is something I can totally dig.  It’s sexy, exciting, and it spooks people in a way that ghosts never could.  I decided to finally try out the Ouija, if only to get back at my folks for not letting me watch Masters of the Universe.  But before I did, I wanted to find out what this mysterious board was all about.

The Ouija board was first made available commercially by Elijah Bond and Charles Kennard in July of 1890, but was by no means the first of its kind.  The Spiritualism movement in the United States had been in full swing since the 1850s, and tools facilitating communication with the dead were in high demand.

Read the rest...

1 comment:

  1. I found the history of the Ouija board quite interesting as well the legend of Zozo, heh. I say next time take two shots of tequila and attempt another round on the Ouija board. I felt you were getting close to communication, you just needed to loosen up.

    ReplyDelete